This year I’m participating in Cannonball Read IV. Cannonball Read is a race among Pajiba readers to read and review 52 books in a year. Or 26. Or 13. A charitable donation is made for those who get to 52.
There are 240 people signed up this year. That’s a lot of book reviews. I’ll try to find some of the interesting reviews plus reviews of books I’ve read and post them here.
- Annie and Buster Fang grow up as set pieces in their parent’s weird fantasy land of performance art. Now grown up and trying to un-f*ck themselves, the siblings are forced to go back home one last time. The Family Fang by Kevin Wilson
- The third novel about Dublin’s Murder Squad centers around Detective Frank Mackey and a mystery that reaches into his own family past. I read In The Woods and, except for a whiny protagonist, it was a solid mystery. Tana French’s newest is Faithful Place.
- A couple of “If you liked The Hunger Games…” type of books: Corridor by Robin Parrish and Legend by Marie Lu.
- A book about my fictional home town Pawnee the Greatest Town in America by Leslie Knope.
- Post-adolescent magicians with nothing to do but experiment with sex, drugs and partying. It’s the future you never wanted for the Hogwarts crew. The Magicians by Lev Grossman
Books I’ve Read
- Ugh, this book was terrible. This reviewer agrees and has actual valid points to back it up, instead of my unhelpful fart sounds whenever anyone mentions it. Super Sad True Love Story by Gary Shteyngart
- Hooray for the future! Another great review by bunnybean. The World of Pooh by A.A. Milne