This year I’m participating in Cannonball Read IV. Cannonball Read is a race among Pajiba readers to read and review 52 books in a year. Or 26. Or 13. A charitable donation is made for those who get to 52.
There are 240 people signed up this year. That’s a lot of book reviews. I’ll try to find some of the interesting reviews plus reviews of books I’ve read and post them here.
- Human baby born on Mars, brought back to Earth. Turn ons: casual sex – Turn offs: organized religon. A Sci-fi classic. Stranger in a Strange Land by Robert A. Heinlein
- Set in 1 day, the last shift a closing Red Lobster, can the manager keep it together? Last Night at the Lobster by Stewart O’Nan
- IT’S NEVER LUPUS! Gregory House M.D. apparently writes a good and funny spy novel. The Gun Seller by Hugh Laurie
- Atwood was writing dystopian novels before it was cool. Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood
- Turn of the century detective novel. When do we start referring to stuff set around 2000 as turn of the century? Surely there’s a cut off date. A Curtain Falls by Stefanie Pintoff
Books I’ve Read:
- My review of this book coming shortly. I liked it. Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor
- You either like Bourdain’s schtick or you don’t. I love it. Kitchen Confidential by Anthony Bourdain
- The World Famous Bigtree alligator-wrestling clan, has problems. Swamplandia! by Karen Russell (also my review here)